1.01.2008

2 Amys

Pizza is by far my favorite food and 2 Amys makes the absolute best pizza in DC. I think it’s better than any pie I’ve had in the US, and even in in Rome, Florence, and Venice. I haven’t been to Naples though, which is where this pizza was born. I’ve been obsessed with 2 Amys for years now. By obsessed, I mean that I go there almost every 2 weeks, and drive pretty far to get there! It is a member of the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana (AVPN), which means that they follow strict requirements to create truly authentic Neapolitan pizza. Now, that’s a great honor to have, but it has nothing to do with my love for their pizza. I judge a pizza based on its toppings and crust. Keep in mind that this is a Neapolitan pizza, not NY pizza. I don’t think that the two can be compared.

2 Amys outer crust can be described as puffy, yeasty, and soft. I’ve never bitten into a crust so tasty with an equally wonderful texture. It’s perfect for dipping, so I always get a side of marinara to go with the pie. The inner pizza crust is super thin, so I get the best of both worlds. The quality and uniqueness of toppings surpass any other joints I’ve been to. My favorite pizza is the Etna, which consists of eggplant confit, olives, capers, oregano, and grana. I also add some fresh mozzarella…can’t have a pizza w/out it! The pizza has the perfect blend of flavors…saltiness from the olives/capers, grana and sweetness from the eggplant. Neil opts for the Norcia (my 2nd favorite), which has tomato, salami, grilled peppers, mozzarella, and grana. Now, 2 Amys also has some of the best salami. I wasn’t a salami lover until I met it here. Needless to say, I gotta have both, so I pick at his pizza too. The traditional way to serve Neapolitan pizza is uncut, so if you are sharing each other’s pies (like me), ask for them to be cut. All of their pizzas are drizzled with olive oil just before serving. It makes for a gorgeous, tasty pie!

There's a whole lot more than just pizza. The small plate specials are always great and change weekly and seasonally. I’ve had crunchy zucchini fritters, potato prosciutto croquettes, eggplant parmesan, summer heirloom tomato salads, roasted root vegetables, and the list goes on. They also have everyday small plates, such as the cod croquettes and the arancini (fried risotto balls filled with gooey mozzarella). Get a side of sauce with that too!! The wide selection of cured meats is exquisite and served alongside crusty, soft bread. Crostini specials are always on the menu, and presented in fun combinations, such as prosciutto and white bean puree, caponata, wild mushrooms, etc. I almost forgot about the polpettine… tender and succulent meatballs made of veal/pork/beef. I get them as a side versus on my pizza, b/c that way you can have some of the marinara that they bake in. It’s great for mopping up with the accompanied bread or even your pizza crust. You can’t have all of these treats in one night, so you gotta keep going back to try them all!

2 Amys also has a decent selection of italian wines, with several offerings by the glass. They are known for pretty generous pours, so I usually get a glass…or two :) Neil always gets one of the beers on tap, which they switch up quite often.

After all this, is there still room for dessert? You can’t ever forgo dessert here. They have the best homemade ice cream in the city, with ever changing flavors. The mint chocolate chip had the aroma and taste of fresh mint leaves that just burst on your tongue. The dessert specials change constantly, so anytime you see something new, try it, b/c you don’t know if/when it will be back!

Now, 2 Amys has a lot of criticism due to the long wait times, overcrowding, noisy children, and sometimes inattentive service. If you are looking for a romantic/quiet night out, stay clear of this place. But, if it’s excellent food you desire, just relax and you will thoroughly enjoy the experience, falling into a state of bliss that I’m constantly in. Even I get very frustrated at the evening’s start, as I hate crowds and am very impatient. But, the moment I start eating, my mood does a 180, and all is forgotten. Neil still comments on my bizarre transformation every visit :) The staff there is also friendly, so long as you are not pushy, and realize that they are also trying their best not to lose it amongst the chaos.

A big plus is that they recently opened adult only seating upstairs. Request that area if you are looking for a more quiet/private setting. I usually starve myself on “2 Amys day”, so I take whatever table they give me.

I feel like I haven’t written enough about why I love this place, but the post is getting long! Just go and experience it, and let me know what you think!

2 Amys
3715 Macomb St. NW
Washington, DC
202.885.5700

1 comment:

Sonal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.