9.07.2009

Heirloom Tomato Tart












Last week started off a little shaky with football and colder weather attacking me all at once, but the holiday weekend turned it around. I stayed in town and enjoyed the amazing weather, which btw, is the nicest weekend we've had all summer. I went to some wineries on Saturday, and ended the day watching the first VT game of the season. Even though I'm not a football fan, I can't help but root for my Hokies. Neil actually went to Atlanta to witness the disappointing loss :( Sunday, I spent time at the Georgetown waterfront, which I haven't done all summer. I'm trying to pack in all I can outdoors with the short time left!!

I've been frequenting the farmer's markets too, and the heirloom tomatoes have been calling to me. They come in a wide variety of colors, shapes, sizes, and flavors. It's very confusing picking them out. I bought 3 different kinds from 3 different vendors. I don't even know the varietals I bought, but they were so pretty, and all tasty. I used them to make a tart, but these taste fantastic eaten plain with just salt and pepper.

I kept the tart simple, by layering tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, drizzles of pesto, and salt/pepper. I used my basic Pate Brisee "Flaky Pie Crust" recipe. I fully baked the crust, let it cool, and brushed a light layer of pesto. I then layered the cheese, sliced tomatoes, salt/pepper, and repeated the process. You could serve it immediately, or bake it in a 400 degrees oven for about 10-15 minutes. I decided to bake mine. Do keep in mind that the tomatoes are going to give off a decent amount of moisture which will keep the bottom crust from being perfectly crispy, but it's still delicious, so don't fret. Brushing with the pesto first helped. Another option is to roast the tomato slices separately first, and then add them to the baked crust. I didn't use any herb garnishes on this because I really wanted the tomatoes to dominate. Also, pesto already has basil. This tart was incredible! And just look at how gorgeous the tomatoes are! The markets are still selling them, so if you haven't experienced these yet, it's a must. Gotta end summer on a tasty note :) Go Hokies!!!

1 comment: