5.13.2008

Grilled Caesar Salad

Last week I posted a recipe for a chicken roulade that I made for out of town guests. As a first course, I served a grilled caesar salad. It seems that the grilled caesar is a growing trend amongst many restaurants. Neil loves the grilled caesar at Mark & Orlando’s and has me replicate it at home quite often. It’s very easy to make, and I love all things that can be made in advance! The dressing, croutons, parmesan tuile can all be done in advance. The only component that needs to be prepared at the last minute is grilling of the lettuce, which only takes a few minutes to do. The bitterness developed by charring the lettuce gives a really nice depth to the flavors of the salad. And, needless to say, the presentation is quite impressive. Making the parmesan tuile is a little tricky at first attempt, so practice a few times to get the hang of it. I hope you try this one!

As seen in pictures below, I grilled my lettuce on a normal stovetop grill. Also, the tuile is made by simply scattering fresh parmesan on a small skillet. Once it bubbles and starts to brown on the bottom you have to quickly remove and shape.



No comments: