8.14.2008

Chocolate Cupcakes w/ White Chocolate Icing



It’s been a while since I posted something sweet. Nothing’s sweeter than a cupcake! My mom use to send a huge box full of cupcakes to school for our bdays. It’s sad to think that homemade treats aren’t even allowed in most schools these days! I remember one scorching hot May bday on which the icing on the cupcakes she sent had all melted. I was so concerned that nobody in my 3rd grade class would eat them and my bday would be ruined (yes, I can be a bit of a drama queen). But, they ended up tasting way better that way…all gooey due to the melting, moist, and yum. The cupcakes were a hit and so was I for day…but soon back to loser status :) We grew older, and somewhere along the way my mom stopped making cupcakes, and I went on to making cakes.

I’ve been getting a tired of baking cakes lately. Cupcakes are just more fun, and nothing is more nostalgic. They are also way cuter than a cake, and if you haven’t noticed, oh so trendier. So, I tried to convert some of my cake recipes to cupcakes, w/ little success. As whole cakes, the recipes were fine, but didn’t double as cupcakes. They didn’t have the soft, moist texture that a cupcake should. Some were too dense, while others were dry and flaky. I almost gave up and bought a box mix (which btw, are also great), but I held out. I did some more trial and error, and found a chocolate cake recipe that used mayo instead of eggs/butter/oil. Believe me, this recipe makes the perfect chocolate cupcake. Perfect texture and taste. Don’t get turned off by the mayo. Give it a chance! I made a creamy white chocolate icing to go on top.

This time I returned the favor and gave some to my mom to take to work. I hope she was a hit :) Next I’ll be experimenting with Red Velvet cupcakes. If you have a good one, please send my way!

See Recipe!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello - I made these cupcakes and they were a huge hit! Yummy and moist and I just love the white chocolate frosting! Thank you so much for posting this!